Israel attacks southern Lebanon and near Syrian border despite ‘ceasefire’
Key takeaways
- People in southern Lebanon are living under “psychological terror” from Israeli air attacks and displacement orders.
- Lebanon’s National News Agency said there were five Israeli air attacks shortly before midnight in the mountainous Nabi Sreij area on the outskirts of Brital, which had been spared from attacks since April 17.
- Israel’s military had issued two forced displacement warnings since Friday night via its Arabic-language spokesman Avichay Adraee, for the southern Lebanese village of Burj Rahal and the areas of Tyre and Zqouq al-Mufdi.
Why this matters: an international story with cross-border implications worth tracking.
People in southern Lebanon are living under “psychological terror” from Israeli air attacks and displacement orders.
xwhatsapp-strokecopylinkgoogle Add Al Jazeera on Googleinfo Two buildings in and around Tyre, southern Lebanon, were struck overnight on May 22 into May 23 [Kawnat Haju/AFP]By Al Jazeera Staff, AFP and Reuters Published On 23 May 202623 May 2026Israeli forces launched a new wave of air attacks in Lebanon on Saturday after earlier raids killed 10 people, targeting an area near the Syrian border and several villages in southern Lebanon.
Lebanon’s National News Agency said there were five Israeli air attacks shortly before midnight in the mountainous Nabi Sreij area on the outskirts of Brital, which had been spared from attacks since April 17. On Saturday, the agency reported large explosions in the towns of Yohmor al-Shaqif in Nabatieh and Taybeh in the Marjayoun district, both in southern Lebanon.