WHO says 12th person infected with hantavirus detected in the Netherlands
Key takeaways
- WHO chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, urged all countries to monitor passengers who were on the MV Hondius cruise ship.
- Tedros said a Dutch crew member had tested positive and was now in isolation, taking the total positive cases to 12.
- So far, three people have died due to the virus.
Why this matters: an international story with cross-border implications worth tracking.
WHO chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, urged all countries to monitor passengers who were on the MV Hondius cruise ship.
xwhatsapp-strokecopylinkgoogle Add Al Jazeera on Googleinfo Personnel in personal protection equipment suits gather onboard the Dutch Hantavirus-hit cruise ship MV Hondius in the port of Rotterdam on May 19, 2026 [AFP]By AFPPublished On 22 May 202622 May 2026The World Health Organization has urged countries to continue monitoring passengers for hantavirus after a case was detected among a Dutch crew member of the ship at the centre of the outbreak.
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO chief, told a news conference in Geneva on Friday that he urges all countries to monitor the passengers who were on board the MV Hondius cruise ship and “move carefully for the remainder of the quarantine period”.