politics
Ebola resurgence sparks global concern, travel restrictions: What to know
Key takeaways
- The World Health Organization (WHO) declared a global public health emergency last week amid a growing number of reported cases in Congo and Uganda.
- Ugandan health officials have reported five confirmed cases and one confirmed death.
- WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Friday that the situation in Uganda was stable, while the outbreak in Congo was deeply worrisome and spreading rapidly.
Why this matters: political developments that affect policy direction and public trust.
The World Health Organization (WHO) declared a global public health emergency last week amid a growing number of reported cases in Congo and Uganda.
A total of 83 confirmed cases and nine confirmed deaths have been reported by the Congolese health ministry as of May 23, with another 176 cases and 176 deaths suspected, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Ugandan health officials have reported five confirmed cases and one confirmed death.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Friday that the situation in Uganda was stable, while the outbreak in Congo was deeply worrisome and spreading rapidly.
Article preview — originally published by The Hill. Full story at the source.
Read full story on The Hill →
More top stories
Also covered by
Aggregated and edited by the Scoop newsroom. We surface news from The Hill alongside other reporting so you can compare coverage in one place.
Editorial policy · Corrections · About Scoop