Scoopfeeds — Intelligent news, curated.
Suspected Ebola cases in eastern DR Congo pass 900 as health workers struggle with aid cuts
international

Suspected Ebola cases in eastern DR Congo pass 900 as health workers struggle with aid cuts

France 24 · May 24, 2026, 7:17 PM · Also reported by 4 other sources

Key takeaways

  • By: FRANCE 24 Red Cross workers bury an Ebola victim at the Rwampara Cemetery, in Rwampara, DR Congo, Saturday, May 23, 2026.
  • “A devastating set of emergencies are converging,” said the Physicians for Human Rights nonprofit.
  • Read moreUganda confirms three new Ebola cases as Africa CDC warns 10 countries 'at risk'

Why this matters: an international story with cross-border implications worth tracking.

As the number of suspected Ebola cases in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo pass 900, health workers say that the chaos left by years of fighting and local government failures has been compounded by sweeping cuts to international aid budgets.

By: FRANCE 24 Red Cross workers bury an Ebola victim at the Rwampara Cemetery, in Rwampara, DR Congo, Saturday, May 23, 2026. © Moses Sawasawa, AP The number of suspected Ebola cases in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo passed 900 as of Sunday, Congolese authorities said.

The burning last week of health centres in two towns at the heart of the outbreak exposed the anger in a region beset by violence linked to armed rebel groups, mass displacement, the failure of local government and international aid cuts that experts say have stripped health facilities in vulnerable communities.

Article preview — originally published by France 24. Full story at the source.
Read full story on France 24 → More top stories

Also covered by

Aggregated and edited by the Scoop newsroom. We surface news from France 24 alongside other reporting so you can compare coverage in one place. Editorial policy · Corrections · About Scoop