Scoopfeeds — Intelligent news, curated.
Even Mitch McConnell is mortified by Trump’s $1.8 billion ‘slush fund to pay people who assault cops’
business

Even Mitch McConnell is mortified by Trump’s $1.8 billion ‘slush fund to pay people who assault cops’

Fortune · May 23, 2026, 3:18 PM

When acting Attorney General Todd Blanche signed off on a nearly $1.8 billion fund meant to compensate President Donald Trump’s allies for alleged political prosecution, he may have pleased his boss. But the eyebrow-raising move — the latest in his push to prove his loyalty to Trump — has agitated the same Republican lawmakers whose support he would need if he is nominated for the permanent job. Blanche insists he’s not auditioning for the job of attorney general. But a series of splashy steps the Justice Department has taken under his watch since he took the position on an acting basis last month, including an indictment of former FBI Director James Comey, has left no doubt about the impression he’s hoping to make on the president who appointed him. The fund in particular has put Blanche at the center of a Republican firestorm at a time when he aims to establish himself as the perfect person for the post for the remainder of Trump’s term. And it sharpened concerns from Democrats and other Blanche critics that he has not shed his mantle as the president’s personal attorney. “So the nation’s top law enforcement official is asking for a slush fund to pay people who assault cops? Utterly stupid, morally wrong — Take your pick,” Republican Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the former majority leader, said in a statement. From Trump’s former lawyer to the Justice Department’s top job A former federal prosecutor in New York, Blanche came to public prominence for his lead role on Trump’s defense team, including during the Republican’s hush money trial in New York. That perch afforded him, he has said, a firsthand look at what he contends was the weaponization of the criminal justice system against Trump. He was brought into the Justice Department as deputy attorney general, the No. 2 job, then was elevated last month after Trump ousted Pam Bondi. Now he finds himself the latest Trump-appointed attorney general to simultaneously confront expect

Article preview — originally published by Fortune. Full story at the source.
Read full story on Fortune → More top stories
Aggregated and edited by the Scoop newsroom. We surface news from Fortune alongside other reporting so you can compare coverage in one place. Editorial policy · Corrections · About Scoop