Scoopfeeds — Intelligent news, curated.
pakistan

Trump says US-Iran deal ‘largely negotiated’ with Hormuz reopening

Pakistan Observer · May 24, 2026, 4:42 AM · Also reported by 4 other sources

Why this matters: local context for readers following news across Pakistan and the region.

US President Donald Trump has said that a memorandum of understanding aimed at securing a ceasefire in the US-Israel conflict with Iran has been “largely negotiated”. Speaking after a telephonic conversation with leaders of regional countries, Trump said the proposed agreement would include the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, though he noted that the deal still requires final approval from the US and Iranian negotiators as well as several other countries involved in the discussions. His statement came shortly after Pakistan’s army chief, Asim Munir, wrapped up what Pakistan’s military described as a brief but “highly productive” visit to Iran. According to the military, “encouraging progress” had been achieved towards a broader understanding. Iranian officials, however, have repeatedly expressed distrust towards negotiations with Washington, pointing to previous US military strikes carried out during earlier nuclear talks. Trump talked to leaders and senior officials from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Pakistan, Jordan, Egypt, Turkiye, and Bahrain. He also confirmed a separate conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. “Final aspects and details of the deal are currently being discussed and will be announced shortly,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan later welcomed the reported progress, saying any eventual agreement would help restore free navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, although he did not provide further details. Egypt’s presidency called on all parties to take advantage of the diplomatic momentum and work towards a final settlement. The latest development capped a volatile week in which Trump initially warned Iran that time was running out to secure a more durable ceasefire arrangement. He later told reporters that he had been close to resuming military action before deciding to place plans “on hold” following requests from Gulf states. Since then, Trump has alternated between signallin

Article preview — originally published by Pakistan Observer. Full story at the source.
Read full story on Pakistan Observer → More top stories

Also covered by

Aggregated and edited by the Scoop newsroom. We surface news from Pakistan Observer alongside other reporting so you can compare coverage in one place. Editorial policy · Corrections · About Scoop