Scoopfeeds — Intelligent news, curated.
Judge Drops Indictment Against Mistakenly Deported Man Kilmar Abrego Garcia
business

Judge Drops Indictment Against Mistakenly Deported Man Kilmar Abrego Garcia

Forbes · May 22, 2026, 9:29 PM · Also reported by 4 other sources

Key takeaways

  • Garcia pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.
  • District Judge Waverly Crenshaw said the evidence presented to him in court “sadly reflects an abuse of prosecuting power.”
  • “The evidence before this Court sadly reflects an abuse of prosecuting power.

Topline Human smuggling charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia—the man erroneously deported to El Salvador last year, and who White House critics have held up as a symbol of the injustice of President Donald Trump’s mass deportation efforts—were dismissed Friday by a federal judge’s blistering decision.

Garcia pleaded not guilty to the charges against him. Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images Key Facts. A federal judge dismissed the criminal case against Garcia, which was brought after the Maryland resident challenged his deportation.

U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw said the evidence presented to him in court “sadly reflects an abuse of prosecuting power.”

Article preview — originally published by Forbes. Full story at the source.
Read full story on Forbes → More top stories

Also covered by

Aggregated and edited by the Scoop newsroom. We surface news from Forbes alongside other reporting so you can compare coverage in one place. Editorial policy · Corrections · About Scoop