Scoopfeeds — Intelligent news, curated.
Trump administration pressures Palestinian UN envoy to drop General Assembly vice presidency bid
pakistan

Trump administration pressures Palestinian UN envoy to drop General Assembly vice presidency bid

Dawn News · May 21, 2026, 4:49 AM · Also reported by 3 other sources

Why this matters: local context for readers following news across Pakistan and the region.

United States President Donald Trump’s administration threatened to revoke the visas of the Palestinian delegation to the United Nations if the Palestinian ambassador refuses to end his candidacy for the vice presidency of the UN General Assembly, according to an internal State Department cable seen by Reuters. In a cable dated Wednesday, US diplomats in its embassy in Jerusalem are instructed to deliver the message that Palestinian ambassador to the UN Riyad Mansour’s general assembly bid “fuels tensions”, risks undermining Trump’s Gaza peace plan and would therefore face consequences from Washington if it went ahead. “To be clear, we will hold the PA responsible if the Palestinian delegation does not withdraw its VPGA candidacy,” the cable, marked sensitive but unclassified, said, referring to the Palestinian Authority, which exercises limited self-rule in the West Bank. Among the talking points provided in the cable to US diplomats, the State Department’s September 2025 decision to waive visa sanctions for Palestinian officials assigned to the Palestinian UN mission in New York was noted. “It would be unfortunate to have to revisit any available options,” the cable, which was first reported by NPR, said. The Palestinian mission to the UN did not immediately respond to a request for comment. “We take seriously our obligations under the UN Headquarters Agreement,” a State Department spokesperson said. “Due to visa record confidentiality, we have no comment on department actions with respect to specific cases.” Trump’s plan for Gaza, shattered after more than two years of war, has been held up by Hamas’s refusal to lay down its weapons and by continued Israeli attacks in Gaza that have undermined an October ceasefire. Israeli forces still occupy more than half of Gaza’s territory, where they have demolished most remaining buildings and ordered all residents out. Mansour had already withdrawn his candidacy for the presidency of the General Assembly as a result of US

Article preview — originally published by Dawn News. Full story at the source.
Read full story on Dawn News → More top stories

Also covered by

Aggregated and edited by the Scoop newsroom. We surface news from Dawn News alongside other reporting so you can compare coverage in one place. Editorial policy · Corrections · About Scoop