Scoopfeeds — Intelligent news, curated.
Trump says he called off new Iran attack at request of Gulf states
top

Trump says he called off new Iran attack at request of Gulf states

BBC News · May 18, 2026, 7:43 PM · Also reported by 4 other sources

Key takeaways

  • REUTERS/Evan Vucci/File Photo U.S.
  • In a post on Truth Social, he said he had been asked to do so by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
  • Trump said he had been informed that a deal would be made that is "very acceptable" to the US, adding that there would be "NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!"

Why this matters: a developing story that could shape the day's news cycle.

REUTERS/Evan Vucci/File Photo U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to the press aboard Air Force One on 15 May US President Donald Trump has said he is holding off a military attack on Iran planned for Tuesday at the request of Gulf states as "serious negotiations are now taking place".

In a post on Truth Social, he said he had been asked to do so by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Trump said he had been informed that a deal would be made that is "very acceptable" to the US, adding that there would be "NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!"

Article preview — originally published by BBC News. Full story at the source.
Read full story on BBC News → More top stories

Also covered by

Aggregated and edited by the Scoop newsroom. We surface news from BBC News alongside other reporting so you can compare coverage in one place. Editorial policy · Corrections · About Scoop