Scoopfeeds — Intelligent news, curated.
At least 14 killed, 20 injured in suicide bombing targeting shuttle train in Quetta: Balochistan govt
pakistan

At least 14 killed, 20 injured in suicide bombing targeting shuttle train in Quetta: Balochistan govt

Dawn News · May 24, 2026, 2:25 PM · Also reported by 4 other sources

Why this matters: local context for readers following news across Pakistan and the region.

QUETTA: At least 14 people were killed and 20 others were injured after a blast caused by a vehicle-borne suicide bombing tore through a shuttle train in Quetta on Sunday morning, the Balochistan government said. Hours after the blast, the provincial government said in a statement it was confirming with “profound grief and deep concern” that a train shuttle service near Chaman Phatak in Quetta was targeted in a vehicle-borne suicide bombing. “This cowardly act of terrorism is not only an attack on innocent human lives but also a heinous attempt to undermine peace, stability, and normal civic life in Balochistan,” the statement said. Citing initial reports, it added that “14 people embraced martyrdom while 20 others sustained injuries, including women and children”. “Among the martyrs were three personnel of the Frontier Corps, while the majority of victims were civilians, including pedestrians, passengers, bystanders, and residents living in houses adjacent to the blast site. “Tragically, an entire family of four — father, mother, son, and daughter — lost their lives in this heartbreaking incident, leaving the entire province in mourning.” According to the statement, the provincial government initiated emergency response measures “immediately after the incident”. Meanwhile, an “emergency has been declared in all major government hospitals in Quetta, while doctors, paramedical staff, and medical personnel has been called in on an urgent basis”. “All possible medical assistance and the best available treatment are being provided to the injured,” the statement. It further stated: “In view of prevailing security concerns, Section 144 was already in force in the area, under which law enforcement agencies had been deployed to maintain security and preventive measures. “Following the blast, the district administration established a central control room at the office of the Quetta deputy commissioner to ensure effective coordination, monitoring, and facilitation of relief o

Article preview — originally published by Dawn News. Full story at the source.
Read full story on Dawn News → More top stories

Also covered by

Aggregated and edited by the Scoop newsroom. We surface news from Dawn News alongside other reporting so you can compare coverage in one place. Editorial policy · Corrections · About Scoop