Scoopfeeds — Intelligent news, curated.
PM Shehbaz congratulates Trump on 'extraordinary efforts to pursue peace' after phone call with multiple country leaders
pakistan

PM Shehbaz congratulates Trump on 'extraordinary efforts to pursue peace' after phone call with multiple country leaders

Dawn News · May 24, 2026, 3:24 AM · Also reported by 1 other source

Why this matters: local context for readers following news across Pakistan and the region.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Sunday congratulated United States President Donald Trump on his “extraordinary efforts to pursue peace”, saying he held a “very useful and productive call” with the leaders of multiple countries. Trump held a phone call with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkiye, Egypt, the UAE, Jordan and Pakistan. The premier also noted that Pakistan hoped to host another round of US-Iran negotiations soon. In a post on X, he said Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) and Chief of Army Staff (Coas) Field Marshal Asim Munir represented Pakistan in the call, and appreciated his “tireless efforts” during the process. “The discussions provided a useful opportunity to exchange views on the current regional situation and how to move the ongoing peace efforts forward to bring lasting peace in the region,” he said. “Pakistan will continue its peace efforts with utmost sincerity and we hope to host the next round of talks very soon.” Pakistan is continuing its efforts to revive the stalled Iran-US peace process after plans for a second round of negotiations in Islamabad fell through. The first round of historic direct US-Iran talks was held in Islamabad on April 11 and 12, following a Pakistan-brokered ceasefire on April 8. It had ended without an agreement, but also without a breakdown. Trump later called off a planned visit of US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and adviser Jared Kushner to travel to Islamabad for a second round of talks with Iran. However, he extended the ceasefire indefinitely “upon the request of Field Marshal Asim Munir, and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif”. The latest round of contacts is taking place under heightened pressure from the US and its Middle East allies. Trump on Wednesday said talks in Iran were in the final stages, and also threatened to resume strikes if a deal is not reached in a “limited timeframe”. Then, this weekend, he said that a ‌memorandum of understanding on a peace deal ​had been “largely negotiated” ​with Iran and w

Article preview — originally published by Dawn News. Full story at the source.
Read full story on Dawn News → More top stories

Also covered by

Aggregated and edited by the Scoop newsroom. We surface news from Dawn News alongside other reporting so you can compare coverage in one place. Editorial policy · Corrections · About Scoop