politics
Suspect in White House shooting dead
Key takeaways
- Anthony Guglielmi, the chief of communications for the agency, said Saturday that at shortly after 6 p.m.
- “Secret Service Police returned fire striking the suspect who was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased,” Guglielmi added. “During the shooting one bystander was also struck by gunfire.
- The gunman has been identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, a figure who was known to Secret Service and had been observed near the White House before.
Why this matters: political developments that affect policy direction and public trust.
Anthony Guglielmi, the chief of communications for the agency, said Saturday that at shortly after 6 p.m. EDT, the man “pulled a weapon from his bag and began firing” in the area of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW.
“Secret Service Police returned fire striking the suspect who was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased,” Guglielmi added. “During the shooting one bystander was also struck by gunfire. No injuries were sustained by officers.”
The gunman has been identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, a figure who was known to Secret Service and had been observed near the White House before.
Article preview — originally published by The Hill. Full story at the source.
Read full story on The Hill →
More top stories
Also covered by
BBC News
Suspect killed after shooting at Secret Service agents outside White House
The Hindu
Suspect dead after approaching White House checkpoint with weapon, says U.S. Secret Service
DW English
US: Suspect dies after gunfire near White House
France 24
US: President Trump not harmed and safe after White House shooting
Aggregated and edited by the Scoop newsroom. We surface news from The Hill alongside other reporting so you can compare coverage in one place.
Editorial policy · Corrections · About Scoop