Actress Momina Iqbal’s alleged harassment case against MPA takes new twist
Why this matters: local context for readers following news across Pakistan and the region.
ISLAMABAD – The alleged harassment case involving actress Momina Iqbal has taken a new turn after her legal team claimed that the matter is linked to past relations and subsequent personal disputes. Speaking to the media after appearing before the National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency, Actress Momina Iqbal’s lawyers stated that Momina Iqbal had a prior relationship with a Punjab Assembly member during 2022 and 2023, during which marriage proposals were reportedly exchanged. The legal team alleged that although the lawmaker initially expressed intentions to marry and sent a formal proposal, it later emerged that he was already married and allegedly intended a subsequent marriage. According to the lawyers, the actress ended the relationship upon learning the full circumstances. They further claimed that tensions escalated when her marriage was later arranged elsewhere, after which she allegedly faced pressure, intimidation, and harassment. It was also alleged that political influence was used to initiate legal proceedings against the would-be husband of the actress during the same period. The lawyers said that despite pressure and threats, Momina Iqbal’s wedding is scheduled to take place on June 1 as planned. They added that all relevant digital and documentary evidence related to harassment and alleged blackmail has been submitted to investigators. They expressed confidence in the ongoing inquiry and said the investigation body has responded positively so far. The legal team also thanked Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz Sharif for taking notice of the matter, stating that timely action for the protection of a woman in the entertainment industry was encouraging.