international
US Navy official says Taiwan arm sales on 'pause' over Iran war
Why this matters: an international story with cross-border implications worth tracking.
The acting US Navy secretary said Thursday that arm sales to Taiwan had been put on "pause" to ensure that the American military had sufficient munitions for its Iran operations. Asked at a congressional hearing about the stalled $14 billion weapons purchase by Taiwan, acting secretary Hung Cao said that "right now we're doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury -- which we have plenty." Ahead of his recent state visit to China, Donald Trump said he would speak with Chinese President Xi Jinping about the arms sales, a departure from Washington's previous insistence that it will not consult Beijing on the matter.
Article preview — originally published by France 24. Full story at the source.
Read full story on France 24 →
More top stories
Also covered by
ARY News
US Navy official says Taiwan arms sales on ‘pause’ over Iran war
The Hindu
U.S. Navy official says Taiwan arms sales on ‘pause’ over Iran war; Taiwan claims no information from U.S.
The Guardian
US arms sales to Taiwan on ‘pause’ due to Iran war, says acting navy chief
Al Jazeera
US pausing $14bn arms sale to Taiwan due to Iran war, navy chief says
Aggregated and edited by the Scoop newsroom. We surface news from France 24 alongside other reporting so you can compare coverage in one place.
Editorial policy · Corrections · About Scoop