Scoopfeeds — Intelligent news, curated.
international

What to know about the current Ebola outbreak in Uganda and the Congo

ABC Australia · May 18, 2026, 1:56 AM · Also reported by 4 other sources

Key takeaways

  • A man arrives at Bunia General Referral Hospital following confirmation of an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain in Bunia.
  • The WHO said the outbreak did not meet the criteria for declaring a pandemic, which the agency did in 2020 for COVID-19.
  • However, it warned, the data collected so far pointed to a "potentially much larger outbreak than what is currently being detected and reported".

Why this matters: an international story with cross-border implications worth tracking.

A man arrives at Bunia General Referral Hospital following confirmation of an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain in Bunia. (Reuters: Victoire Mukenge)

Link copied Share Share article The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a "public health emergency of international concern" after at least 80 deaths were reported.

The WHO said the outbreak did not meet the criteria for declaring a pandemic, which the agency did in 2020 for COVID-19.

Article preview — originally published by ABC Australia. Full story at the source.
Read full story on ABC Australia → More top stories

Also covered by

Aggregated and edited by the Scoop newsroom. We surface news from ABC Australia alongside other reporting so you can compare coverage in one place. Editorial policy · Corrections · About Scoop